top of page

5 Important Changes for International Students in Canada for 2024

5 Important Changes for International Students in Canada for 2024
5 Important Changes for International Students in Canada for 2024


Are you ready to start on your international student journey in Canada? ✈️ 

Well, buckle up because there are some important changes coming your way!

The Canadian government has rolled out new rules tailored to enhance your study and cultural experience while setting you up for success.

Let's dive into the top 5 important changes for International students in Canada you need to know about:


1. 💰 Increase in Amount of of Funds Required

Starting January 1, 2024, there is an an increase in the amount of funds required for Canada study permits. 📈 

This means a smoother financial transition for you, ensuring you have ample funds to cover living expenses.

Plus, the updated requirements now account for the number of family members accompanying you, making it more inclusive and accommodating.

Check out the breakdown below and plan your finances accordingly!

Table 1: Amount of Funds Required

Number of family members including the applicant

Amount of funds required per year (not including tuition) in Canadian Dollars















If there are more than seven people each additional family member



2. 🌎 Cap on Number of International Students

Canada is welcoming, but it's also mindful of maintaining a balance. 🤝 

Hence, there's now a cap on the number of international students entering the country. While this might sound daunting, don't worry! This is actually good news for international students who made it. You have less compeition for housing, learning resources, jobs and permanent residency.

Exceptions apply, ensuring smoother processes for various categories of applicants. Stay informed to avoid any surprises during your application journey.

Table 2: Study Permit Quota by Canadian Province and Territories


Study Permit Quota for 2024

British Columbia












New Brunswick


Nova Scotia


Prince Edward Island


Newfoundland and Labrador




Northwest Territories








3. 📝 New Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) Requirement


For applications submitted after January 22, 2024, you'll need a PAL from the province or territory where you plan to study if you are planning to do post-secondary programs at the college or undergraduate level.  🏫 IRCC will return all study permit application forms that does not include the PAL, unless otherwise exempted.

While this might add a step to your application process, it aims to streamline and personalize your study experience. Keep an eye out for updates on this evolving requirement!

Who needs a provincial attestation letter?

  • most post-secondary study permit applicants

  • most non-degree granting graduate programs (for example, certificate programs and graduate diplomas)

  • anyone else not included in the exception list below

Who doesn’t need a provincial attestation letter?

  • primary and secondary school students

  • master’s or doctoral degree students

  • visiting or exchange students

  • in-Canada study permit and work permit holders (includes study permit holders applying for an extension)

  • in-Canada family members of study permit or work permit holders

  • students whose application we received before 8:30 a.m. ET on January 22, 2024

Stay tuned for more updates on PAL in the coming weeks.


4. 👩‍🎓 Spousal Open Work Permit Eligibility Change:

If you're pursuing a master’s or doctorate degree, your spouse can rejoice!

🎉 Open work permits are now exclusively available for spouses of students in these programs, ensuring greater opportunities for them.

Please note that Spousal Open Work Permits are no longer available for diploma or degree programs. 


5. 🎓 Changes to Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Eligibility for Masters and Public-private partnership programs:

Completing your master’s degree in under two years? 🏅 Congrats! You're now eligible for an extended three-year post-graduation work permit. Plus, there are updates regarding eligibility for certain study programs, so make sure to check if you're affected.


The length of PGWPs for programs other than master’s degrees will continue to align with the length of the study program, to a maximum of 3 years.


Please note that public diploma programs obtained through public and private college arrangements will no longer be eligible for post-graduation work permit.

Who is eligible for a PGWP after graduating from a public-private partnership college program?

  • International students currently enrolled will remain eligible for a PGWP if they meet other program eligibility criteria.

Who is not eligible for a PGWP after graduating from a public-private partnership college program?

  • New students enrolling in this type of program will not be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.



These changes are designed to make your journey as an international student in Canada smoother and more rewarding and also clamp down on private colleges that are exploiting international students with misleading advertisements and recruitment practices.

What Should You Do Now? 🤔

If you or your child is studying in Canada or plan to do so in 2024 or 2025, reach out to us today. Share the program and school details you plan to study or is studying, and we'll inform you if they are among those affected by the new changes.

It is worthwhile to independently verify your program and school before investing your time and resources.


We can also help you choose a program and course if you are not sure what to choose. You can also check out our Study in Canada blog series – the ultimate guide to studying in Canada for more information.


Stay Informed and Connected! 🌐


Follow us on our blog or social media channels (LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest) to get the latest Canadian education and immigration related news.


Please contact us if you would like us to work with us to fulfill your Canadian dream.


20 views0 comments


bottom of page